Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) seeks to classify data according to its business value and establish policies to migrate, store or delete data on the appropriate storage tier. It is also an essential practice to ensure compliant data protection and privacy according to the requirements of the GDPR, as well as other similar policies and regulatory mandates.
As a result, it is crucial to craft an intelligent SAP ILM strategy to control your data volume and to reduce business risks with compliant data archiving and retention. This blog article addresses the fundamentals of SAP ILM and provides a recommendation of an SAP Press book related the the topic.
A recommendation of SAP Press book
As Data Volume Management experts, our technical teams take a close look to SAP Press books and training courses. If you are seeking to know more about SAP ILM, the book published by SAP Press “GPDR AND SAP, Data Privacy with SAP Business Suite and SAP S/4HANA” provides an accurate read for SAP professionals.
This book provides an in-depth understanding of:
- EU’s GDPR regulation and learn what it will take for your organization to become compliant.
- how SAP Business Suite and SAP S/4HANA keep data secure.
- How to use SAP tools to configure access rules, keep track of data retrievals, and migrate data securely.
The essence of Data Volume Management
SAP ILM comprises a wide definition of Data Volume management:
- Data archiving sets the removal of data that is compressed and stored in archive files, which can later be accessed using application reports or through an Archive Information System (SAP AS).
- Retention management defines where data is stored, how long data is retained, and when data can be destroyed.
- Finally, the decommissioning of legacy systems closes the loop by retiring those systems that are no longer required. This means, the old system’ data is extracted and imported into a third-party system, enabling this data to be re-accessed without the need of an SAP system.
GDPR and ILM
TJC senior teams have more than 15 years of experience in managing GDPR and ILM Projects for large corporations such as BT Group, or Carlsberg. Indeed, EE/BT Group was present at the UKISUG Connect 2019, the UK and Ireland SAP User Group, to give a talk about Data Archiving, EU GDPR and the Journey to S/4HANA for EE/BT.
I strongly recommend you take a glance at Mark Holmes presentation (Principal Enterprise Architect ERP Core & EE ERP integration) that covers the benefits of Data archiving for EE to address GDPR and retention policies among other challenges the corporation is challenging to migrate to SAP S/4HANA.
Do you have doubts on how to implement SAP ILM? As an SAP partner with over 22 years of experience in Data Management, TJC Group provides consulting services to help corporations to overcome complex challenges with SAP ILM management.
If your team or company is struggling to shape a Data Management Strategy, get in touch with you us to arrange a consultation.
Sources of information:
- SAP UK: https://www.sap.com/uk/products/information-lifecycle-management.html
- SAP Press book Blog: https://bit.ly/2UiSjZh